Sunday, May 30, 2010

One month away from the States


Today marks the day I have been out of the States for a month. Yes, I do call it the States now because saying, "America," to anyway makes me feel like I am describing a far off mystical land to a five year old child. Being here has brought about the oddest combination of feelings; that I have been here forever, but yet it has gone by so fast. I know no one will be thrilled by this, but last night at about 2 in the morning we all walked home from Piccadilly Circus and it really hit me. These streets, the side walk, these people and its places; this is my town. I know I still need to blog about Scotland, which will be done a little later, but in commemoration of this one month mark, I would like to show you the little things I love about this town.

I love Tesco Express, the English version of Seven 11, minus the real Raaj and Slurpies, but add the most amazing blueberry muffins baked daily for 72 pence and fake Raaj with an accent....it is in my daily routine!
  I love that everyone jogs here with a backpack on. To this day there are only theories at to what is in these backpacks, but literally at any time of day and at any place, the English love to run with a backpack on. One day I will get the courage to stop one of these beastly joggers and ask them to open up, tell me of the English secret ways. 
I love all the school children in their outfits, running around looking like Madeline. I love that yesterday Emily and I asked a five year old what grade he was in, if he was in Kindergarten and he replied, "Whuat? No, I don't have a garden!"
I love that this is what my plate looks like every day. I can put down a crepe like no ones business. 
I love the street markets the whole city comes out to enjoy. This is Portobello Market, the famous Saturday Antique market. It stretches for miles, as roads are closed and people collide one with another, you are let free to adventure through piles and stacks of Antique valuables. It is a beautiful site.
 
I love all their doors; everyone a different color or an extravagant trim, border, and gate.  


I love that I have a personal photographer named Gavin, to capture every moment, especially when I am in a field and want to act like a lion. 

I love this town. I love this adventure. And I love all of you. 
Love Always, Kels


2 comments:

  1. I love seeing London through your eyes! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful tidbits that I'm sure most tourists don't have a clue about. Enjoy a crepe for me :)xoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude eat a crepe for me too. In fact, eat like 10 crepes for me. All chocolate ones.

    I really liked this post. I love how you love the small details in London. By the way, did you ever figure out what's in those backpacks? Common kels, I know you- just go up and ask them!! Now that would be funny.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

London, United Kingdom
My goal in life is to never stop surprising myself.