Thursday, May 6, 2010

"uhh..ahaha you mean little cakes?"



Well, so the descent of my intelligence is seriously rapidly decreasing daily. I don't think you all get it; these people hate us and every word we say. I am starting to think they set us up to look stupid, because no matter what I do, my American-ness, humiliates me here. Speaking of that, I will explain what my title means. We heard a rumor that the Globe Theatre had famous brownies, so of course we decided to check it out. We walk into the cafe area a little before the play started and asked a worker this exact statement, "Does this cafe sell any brownies?" she looked at us, mouth gauging open like she had never before heard a more retarded question. Her response, "uh...hahaha you mean little cakes?" She knew EXACTLY that we meant as brownies, but once again we were made to feel like the scum of the earth for calling brownies, brownies. However, I couldn't be surprised by the end of the night because yesterday I had one of the most interesting nights of my life, We are going to 5 plays while we are here, we are seeing three of these plays in the Globe Theatre, it is not the original but a replica of the theatre Shakespeare performed his plays back in the day. I am all for a good kick back to the classics, but this theatre was a terrible idea. First off all, it is outside.....in London, where it rains every day. That is almost as stupid as an outdoor mall in Utah. Second off, the majority of the people stand...for two and a half hours. Third off, you are outside and standing at night, this play went until about 11 at night; I couldn’t feel my toes by the end of the fourth act. Beyond this, the play was the creepiest thing I have ever seen. I can guarantee right now that I will not be able to depict this image as well, but honestly I was speechless by the end of it. You walk in to the arena, and there is this giant tarp over the entire crowd area with tiny spots to put your head in. Whether it was to cover from the rain, or to create the image of Dante's Inferno, this was hilarious. I laughed for probably forty minutes of the play, I could only imagine acting and looking at all these bobbing heads everywhere I would pee my pants...
Taking into account the creepy head tent, the midgets covered in blood, the man who peed on stage and then threw it into the audience, this was definitely the most interesting experience I have had of Shakespeare yet! As for some of the other highlights, we finally adventured more into the city of London, we went into Leicester and Trafalgar Square, seeing Big Ben, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, the Thames River, and I even rode a lion! It was a beautiful day to walk around....oh and I had my first experience of Fish and Chips and actually enjoyed it! (Yes family, there it is again, I know you’re surprised) This weekend we are traveling to Baths and Salisbury for the weekend, so expect a new post on Sunday. I love you all and miss you so much.



Love Always, Kels.

3 comments:

  1. kelsey it sounds like an awesome night! i cant believe that play though that is crazy i would have died for standing taht long! i love all your pictures though your hair is getting so long! i cut all mine off lol! it looks like you are having so much fun though i really am way happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a big LION! Love to be in London but I think I would pass on that play. Pictures are great. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Kels I was dying laughing at your post. That whole head tent thing is absolutely hilarious!!! I can't even believe they do that!!! I was like is this for real?? I don't think I could take the play seriously if I was watching it with my head poked out of one of those things. I would just be laughing the whole time. And what is this about the guy throwing pee into the audience??? Those crazy Brits!!! Well sounds like you are having so much fun already!! Can't wait to hear more!
    Love you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

London, United Kingdom
My goal in life is to never stop surprising myself.