Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"This is literally what I google imaged..."



Ireland, the sound of it alone rushes back a thousand of the most beautiful images I have ever seen. This blog will be hard to write and may appear short, not because I have nothing to say, but because words cannot describe what I have discovered. I have uncovered a hidden splendor, the Northern Coast of Ireland. I know I exaggerate a lot so it is hard to distinguish my, “literally,” and “seriously.” However both seriously and literally, I have never witnessed anything like this place. I have never thought about the top 3 most gorgeous places I have ever visited, but without doubt, the coast of Northern Ireland would find itself somewhere seated in that Top 3. It is everything I have ever Google-imaged and more. I can remember months before going on this trip just Googling Ireland, setting different pictures as my background and just staring out. It all became a reality, the once computer desktop background was now what I was now peering my eyes out to, gazing across the Atlantic Ocean on a sea cliff. There is not much I can say about Ireland, I will skim through the some minute details. And even though I am not sure the pictures will do it justice either, I want this post to be a majority of pictures. The picture above is one of my favorite of the whole trip, my interpretation of "Say you're a bird!" (from the movie the Notebook)

So, Ireland, ah there it is once again. As we flew into Ireland, we flew into Dublin. Getting off the airplane, our first statement was, “I LOVE SCOTLAND!” That might not seem as funny to other people, but me and Emily get a kick out of mixing up the Irish and Scottish. The whole time in Scotland we would say, “Man Irish food is great!” Sadly, no one seems to be that bothered by it…we still find it quite amusing. Well we get off the plane, yell, and notice a giant plane with a shamrock on it. I was so excited, a new place, an entire country with so many clichés to live up to, I could not contain myself! It was my all time goal to find an Irishmen to say the most Irish saying to me ever, “They’re trying to steal me lucky charms!” Yes, unlike the English, I grew up on sugar cereals, and this was my greatest Irish dream. And good thing my new favorite thing is going to be posting videos, because my goal was definitely achieved!


After checking into our hotel, we met our group at a straight up(I have never noticed how much I say straight up until every person in the group has now followed me and started saying straight up, because it is a lot) Anyway, straight up Irish Pub. We sat down and jammed with an authentic Irish band. There was a guy singing, a banjo player, and an electric violinist. It was everything you would ever imagine an Irish pub with Irish music would be. The whole pub was singing right along with their beers, even interjecting in some parts, with a banging beat going right along with it all. It was amazing hearing the culture and history of a city; it brought a room full of people together. We walked around the city of Dublin that night meeting the Irish and seeing the city. Just to let you guys know, out of Europe, the Irish were rated the number one nicest people…and who do you think got last place? Yes, Londoners. In fact I got yelled at tonight for being too loud in a residential area. If I were in Ireland, they would have sung right along!
The next morning we woke up and took a hop on hop off tour of Dublin, after so many churches and cathedrals, I am going to power through this list of what we saw, because they all mesh together by now. We saw Trinity College, Christ Church, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and the Millennial Spire. But literally all of this means nothing compared to the fact we left, we left for Belfast.
It is sad, but yes this is us modeling outside of Christ Church, we just have taken so many pictures we have to get fresh with it!



That night we took a two hour train ride, two hours of the most stunning scenery I have ever had the privelage to stare at. Passing miles of green acres, filled with sheep and pastures covered with a golden sunset, I cannot believe no one else on the train was freaking out.
After getting to Belfast our teacher who said knows Belfast like the back of his hand, well got us lost for 2 hours and then locked out our hostel for another 2 hours, we sure got a firsthand view of the nice Irishmen. I am serious, women, men, children all invited us to stay with them, chatting with us for hours, and hoping for our safety. Finally at about 4 we got into our room and good thing I was so tired because my bed was a rock, no joke, a R-O-CK, three syllables of it. Although I was so tired the next morning, I was a trooper and woke up at 8 to take a bus tour up the coast of Northern Ireland. I had no idea this was the bus to heaven.

Like all cool kids, we found our way to the back of the bus and got seated for the most glorious drive I have ever taken. Take the drive down to San Francisco, on the ocean highway, and then some crack, and you have this road. It was a 6 hour trip to every spot along the Ireland Ocean highway. We saw some Castle, but after taking one picture I turned and ran toward the boat dock. A boat dock, to the Atlantic Ocean, the cutest boat dock ever created.

The entire trip I skipped frantically headed for any view of the seaside. After this, we continued our drive through the forests and hills towards a place called Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge, this is the only rope bridge I think only bridge that crosses the Atlantic Ocean. You had to hike about a mile to the Rope Bridge, then walk across it to another part of the island. Emily started crying on the rope bridge, literally tears were falling, I have a video of that one too… I don’t know if she wants me to put that one up though aha. So many times I questioned if the plane took me to Ireland or Fiji, because these beaches were gorgeous. Everyone keeps telling us that it is supposed to rain here, but I am pretty sure the sun follows us. It was perfect weather; the sun was shining down through every crack of sky. All I could say was, “I can’t breathe, I just can’t breathe.” I cannot even fathom to describe its beauty.

After this we drove onward to a place called the Giant’s Causeway, yes again I am in Ireland, not Hawaii.
It is this seaside phenomenon, like the craziest 7th world wonder I have ever visited. I have read the information about a million times but still, I fail every science class ever created so I can’t really tell you how this happened. Beyond the fact it is natural, I am about to guess and make all this up. The giant’s causeway has something to do with lava, earth plates moving, crystallization, and a whole lot of stones that looked like carved rock seats. We sat looking out onto the ocean, on our lava crystal rock seats, knowing that God really does love us. He wanted us to be there, he wanted us to see all the wonders this world has to offer. I don’t know if I have ever felt so close to nature before in my life.

Driving home we saw a Castle upon a cliff called..ya I don’t really know but it was cool and is in the corner of the picture below. We also stopped at the GUINNESS factory, as you can tell we were not very enthused by this.

Now that finished it all! It was a day I will never forget, the smells and air of the Northern Ireland Ocean, I can close my eyes now and still feel it. Who would have known, out of all the places I have ever been in my life, Northern Ireland would be in my top three. I feel so lucky, lucky to experience this all, lucky for my friends and family, lucky for the people here, lucky for the connection I have had to myself, the time to breathe, center my thoughts, and adventure. I am so lucky for every pasture, each crepe, the daily Cadbury chocolate bars, all the crazy people we have met. I just cannot begin to explain how fortunate I truly am. I love you and miss you all. I have one week left here in London, here is to the best of it!
Love Always, Kels.

Here it is!! All my dreams come true!

Were probably going to try out for Britain's got talent, like we didnt skip seven verses of this song or anything...




3 comments:

  1. Love the pics. The place looks beautiful. What are the other two places in your top 3 beautiful places you have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty sure I didn't read the entire thing, I did read the 'straight up' part though, I get made fun of at home for how much I say it.. I think you and I must have both said that before this trip and now everyone we rule over is fallowing in our footsteps. Good work. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kels!!!!!! Omg Ireland looks absolutely beautiful!!!! You must have been in heaven!! So green! And such a gorgeous coastline! I felt calm, peaceful and one-with-nature just reading your description. Wow what is with those crazy rock seats! That is amazing!! I am so glad you had such an amazing time there! I LOVED all of your pictures! Speaking of your pictures- so weird, so I just went shopping for Nate and mine 5 year anniversary (yes, 5 years!!!) and I got like the same exact outfit in your pics! Crazy huh? When I saw your pics I was like that is so weird, I just bought that same thing. It's the tiered shirt with a black cardigan and grey jeans! Great sisters think alike! Well I am sure you are both excited and sad that your trip is coming to an end. You have to make sure you live it up your last week there. But I don't think I need to tell you that! ahah. I am sooooo excited I get to see you soon! Only 5 more days! Whoo-hoo!!! By the way, I loved your videos too! You guys are all really great singers. K, well my wrist is killing me cuz I just typed this whole thing with one hand seriously typing one letter at a time cuz baby Kaiya is asleep in my other hand, so I gotta go- but I love you soooo much and can't wait to hear about your last week in London!!!!
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

London, United Kingdom
My goal in life is to never stop surprising myself.